From Penzey's winter catalog.
Make and share this Hot and Sour Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, cut into matchstick-sized pieces
- 5 -6 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 8 ounces firm tofu, diced into 1/4-inch cubes (or extra firm)
- 1 (15 ounce) can straw mushrooms, drained
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chinese black vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cellophane noodles or 1 (8 ounce) package bean thread noodles
- Slice the chicken breasts into matchstick-sized pieces and set aside.
- Heat the stock and add the vinegar, pepper and soy sauce or salt.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5-10 minutes (the chicken will float when cooked).
- Add the noodles, tofu, bamboo shoots and mushrooms and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls sprinkled with the green onions.