Cook2 hrs 10 mins
This is from the Diana Liu cookbook. A very good way to cook duck.
Make and share this Honey Orange Duck recipe from Food.com.
- Boil water in a large kettle.
- Place duck, anise and parsley in boiling water; cook 10 minutes.
- Remove duck from water; let cool on rack for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Bake duck on rack in a roasting pan for 1 1/2 hours.
- Mix orange juice, soy sauce, honey, sherry, salt and ginger juice.
- Pour half of mixture into cavity and brush remaining mixture on duck.
- Bake 30-40 minutes more; basting every 10 minutes during the last 1/2 hour of baking.
- Transfer duck to a platter.
- Garnish with orange slices.
- Serve hot.
Our toddlers found great joy in calling this duck "yuck" (they loved it, actually), but all I could groan was "Wooow ... wow ... WOW!" when eating the gorgeous greasy crispiness of the soy-gingery duck fat. It was AMAZING! I was dubious about steps 1 & 2, but you really could taste the star anise in the cooked meat, and it made an excellent gravy base. WORTHY SUBSTITUTIONS: "Chilli" Soy Sauce for plain soy sauce, Ginger Wine for sherry, 1 T. minced gingerroot for ginger juice. I also added 1 minced garlic clove to the LOVELY, zingy marinade. [[Now about that gravy -- duck giblets, 2" gingerroot, 2 leeks, and veg. boullion cube boiled 1 hr in the duck stock. 1/3 c. flour fried in 2 T. duck fat; gradually add strained duck stock until it is a "gravy" consistency. Add strained veggies/giblets(?), & puree. Add 1/4+ of the duck marinade, and salt to taste!]] THANKS for posting a restaurant-worthy recipe!