Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This simple recipe tastes like something you'd get in your local Chinese. It can be spiced up with the addition of red pepper flakes, to taste. Prep time does not include marinating.
- Mix together 1 1/2 TBS of the oil, the honey, sherry, soy sauce, five-spice powder, garlic and ginger in a bowl.
- Add the shrimp, making sure to coat them evenly with the marinade; cover and marinate for at least an hour or up to 8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade, reserving the marinade.
- Heat a wok over high heat until it smokes, and then add the remaining 1 1/2 TBS oil.
- Heat the oil for a couple of seconds, then add the shrimp and stir-fry for a minute, or until they have turned pink.
- Pour in the reserved marinade and the water.
- Cook briskly, stirring constantly and coating the shrimps with the sauce, for about two minutes.
- Remove the shrimps from the wok, and continue cooking the sauce until it is well-reduced and syrupy, a matter of just a minute or so.
- Serve sauce over the shrimps.
this was really delicious and easy to prepare. i made it as is, except i added some cornstarch with the water to thicken. dh loved it, i think i would have preferred the added red pepper, i did serve mine with hot chili sauce. very tasty.
This was delicious! I doubled the sauce ingredients and added about 3 cups of assorted vegtables I needed to use up. When it was almost done I thickened it with a little cornstarch. We enjoyed it very much. Thanks for this wonderful and easy recipe.