1/2 Photos of Holiday "Egg Thing" Breakfast
1 hr 15 mins
My mother used to make this delicious breakfast every Christmas morning (we called it "Egg Thing" as kids), but it would also be appropriate for Easter or other occasions. You can add your own touches to make it your own, but here is the basic recipe:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 slices white bread
- butter, for greasing the pan
- 3/4 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 lb shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 -4 cups light cream or 3 -4 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1Butter all the slices of bread on one side and cube them (1 inch squares are fine, but the size is not important).
- 2Butter a large shallow baking dish.
- 3Put about half the bread cubes in the dish (evenly distributed in the pan).
- 4Sprinkle the cubes with half of the cheeses.
- 5Repeat both layers.
- 6Combine remaining ingredients and pour over the bread and cheese mixture (may look very liquidy, but it's okay; the bread will soak up the moisture).
- 7Refrigerate 8-24 hours before baking (I like this b/c you can make the recipe the night before and just throw it in the oven for breakfast the next day).
- 8Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 min or until brown (check often: this can be a tricky recipe, and oven temperatures can vary a lot).
- 9You could add a lot of different things like sausage, ham, bacon, diced bell peppers, and onions, so if you'd like to add anything just throw it in with the cream mixture.
- 10Best served with bacon or ham and coffee.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holiday "Egg Thing" Breakfast
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 665.6
- Calories from Fat 454
- Total Fat 50.5 g
- Saturated Fat 29.7 g
- Cholesterol 353.5 mg
- Sodium 963.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 32.2 g