1/2 Photos of Ground Pork, Peas, and Rice Casserole
This is based on a great recipe from Ken Hom's book, Quick & Easy Chinese Cooking. He says, "This is a typical Chinese dish, designed to comfort, to satisfy, and to relax the body and soul. It reheats very well (when it is perhaps even tastier), and is a meal in itself. Serve it with a favorite salad, and you will have a spendid, complete meal."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 lb fresh peas, shelled or 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 1Add rice and water to a large, heavy saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 2Continue boiling for 10 minutes, or until most of the surface liquid has evaporated.
- 3The surface of the rice will be uneven and look like a pitted crater. At this stage, cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and set the heat to low.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the dish. If you went the fresh peas route, blanch them in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain, and set aside. Otherwise, thaw frozen peas at room temperature.
- 5Add the oil to a heated wok or skillet. Add the pork and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the peas, soy sauces, oyster sauce, and rice wine.
- 6Continue to cook for another 2 minutes, then add the green onions.
- 7Place this cooked mixture on top of the rice, cover, and continue to cook over the lowest possible heat for another 15 minutes (rice will have cooked a total of 25 minutes).
- 8Serve immediately, drizzling additional oyster sauce over the top of the casserole if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ground Pork, Peas, and Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.1
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 81.7 mg
- Sodium 702.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 29.9 g