1/1 Photo of Grilled General Tso's Chicken
Since I am calorie counting, I took one of my family's favorite recipes and modified it to bring down the calories. If you cannot find rice wine, you can substitute Sherry, Madeira or Marsala.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons szechwan chili sauce
- 2 1/3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine
- 4 1/2 tablespoons sugar substitute (like Splenda)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1Grill the chicken breasts until they are fully cooked.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small bowl, prepare the sauce mixture by combining the 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch with the wine, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, chili sauce, and broth.
- 3Heat the sesame oil in the wok or frying pan and add the sauce-mixture to the wok, tossing over the heat until the sauce caramelizes into a glaze (1-2 minutes).
- 4Cut chicken into bite size pieces, add it to the sauce and toss to coat.
- 5If you like the crunch often found in traditional General Tso's; sprinkle the Panko over top right before serving.
- 6Serve immediately.
- 7Serves 6, along with steamed broccoli and rice. We have doubled the sauce and added the cooked broccoli and that works great too!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled General Tso's Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.1
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 73.2 mg
- Sodium 854.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
szechwan chili sauce