Five spice gives this chicken a wonderfully warm aromatic flavor that adults and children will love. Time does not include marinating.
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 3 scallions, shredded
For the marinade
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, grated
- 4 tablespoons rice wine or 4 tablespoons sherry wine
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons five-spice powder
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients, put the chicken into a dish then pour over the marinade and mix to coat. Cover then chill for at least 20 minutes or up to a day if you have time.
- Heat the oven to 350F and lift the chicken out of the marinade into a roasting tin. Roast for 40 minutes, pour over the remaining marinade then cook for a further 30 minutes until golden and sticky.
- Sprinkle with the scallion and serve.
This was my 2nd or 3rd time using five spice. I marinated mine overnight. When you took it out of the oven the legs had a nice reddish brow color to them. I'll make this one again. Made for *Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup 2009* game
I used all thighs for this and let them marinate for about 5 hours. The chicken was moist and tasty. I used only 1 tbsp of peanut oil and 1 more tbsp of sesame oil. Thanx for sharing. It's a keeper!