1/1 Photo of Ginger Scallion Tripe (Dim Sum Style)
3 hrs 15 mins
My son and husband are both obsessed with the tripe from our favorite Chinese dim sum restaurant, so I've spent the last month trying to perfect a recipe at home to duplicate it. The trick is to infuse the tripe with lots of the ginger and scallion flavor while it's becoming tender, during the initial boiling step. The outcome is a flavorful dish well worth the effort. Here it is... and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs tripe (book or bible or towel tripe, not honeycomb tripe)
- 40 ounces chicken broth (for boiling)
- 40 ounces water
- 3 ounces ginger, divided (sliced and juilenned)
- 6 stalks scallions, divided (2 stalks julienned)
- 2 garlic cloves, divided, smashed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup rice wine, divided
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 dried red chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1Clean the tripe well under running water.
- 2Place the whole pieces of tripe in a large pot and fill with chicken stock, water, 2 1/2 ounces of the sliced ginger, 4 scallion stalks, 1 garlic clove, sesame oil, 1/2 cup of the rice wine, white pepper, salt and the dried chilil peppers.
- 3Place the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and continue to simmer for 2-3 hours. Check for doneness by piercing tripe with a fork. Tripe should be tender but easily sliced with a knife, not rubbery.
- 4Drain the tripe and slice into 1 inch strips. Discard broth.
- 5In a wok, heat peanut oil on medium high heat.
- 6Add and sautee the garlic clove, 1/2 ounce of julienned ginger, and 2 julienned scallions. About 2 minutes.
- 7Add the tripe and remaining 1/2 cup rice wine. Simmer for 2 minutes. Discard the garlic clove.
- 8Make a slurry with the chicken broth and cornstarch. Add mixture to wok. Stir to thicken. About 2 minutes. Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Scallion Tripe (Dim Sum Style)
Serving Size: 1 (729 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 592.4
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 413.5 mg
- Sodium 3188.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 50.7 g