Great alternative to General Tso's Chicken. Contributed to a vegetarian website by Sarah Booth.
Make and share this General Tso's Tofu recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) box firm tofu
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- steamed broccoli
- Drain, dry and cut tofu into one inch chunks-You can freeze the tofu the night before to get a more"chicken-like" texture, if desired.
- Mix egg with 3 Tbs of water.
- Dip tofu in mixture.
- Sprinkle cornstarch over tofu to completely cover.
- Heat oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden brown and set aside.
- Drain oil.
- Heat 3 Tbs vegetable oil in pan on medium heat and add onions, ginger and garlic, cook for about two minutes (be careful not to burn garlic).
- Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes and vinegar.
- Mix 2 Tbs of water and 1 Tbs cornstarch and pour into mixture, stirring well.
- Add fried tofu and coat evenly.
- Serve immediately with steamed broccoli over your choice of rice.