Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Posting for zwt 2006 (Asian region). I love Scallops and can't wait to make this one myself. Looks fairly easy and quite tasty if the ingredients are any indication.
- 1 lb scallops
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine or 2 teaspoons dry sherry or 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil, for stir-frying
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, as garnish
- Rinse the scallops under running water and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, prepare the cornstarch slurry (mix together the cornstarch and the 4 tbsps. water) and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, oyster sauce, rice wine or sherry or rice vinegar, and sugar to form the sauce; set aside.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high to high heat; add the oil to the heated wok; when the oil is hot, add the garlic cloves and half the green onion; Stir-fry until the garlic is aromatic but not browned as that will give it a bitter edge.
- Add the red bell pepper and the scallops and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, taking care not to overcook the scallops. Add the sauce and simmer the scallops and pepper in the sauce, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- Give the cornstarch and water slurry a quick re-stir; add in the middle of the wok, stirring quickly to thicken; mix with the other ingredients.
- Stir in the remainder of the green onion and garnish with the chopped cilantro.
- Serve over rice.
Made this recipe for Valentines Day. It looked beautiful..very nice presentation. Unfortunately, we found it a little bland. Sorry to submit a negative review, but that's how we felt about it.
I made this recipe tonight. From what I saw in the ingredients, it sounded good. I didn't have the Oyster sauce, so instead I used rice vingar and I used the 2 Tbls of sherry, just to make sure the liquid measurements were right. I also forgot to add the sugar and the recipe was still awesome. When I make it again, I will probably leave out the sugar. Very easy to make; little time involved! Thanks JanetC-KY--Great recipe!
Excellent recipe - I had unexpected company arrive- didn't have enough scallops so I defrosted some prawns and added them- Perfect! I used Sherry for the sauce and it was delicious. I was lucky to find large wild Canadian scallops - we rarely see them any more. Thanks JanetC-KY this is a repeat recipe