Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Recipe is for a Cantonese/Hawaiian dish served during a family reunion.
Make and share this Gar Doo Gai (Chinese Chicken Salad) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice, cooked and chilled
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chinese plum sauce
Sesame Seed Dressing
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Create dressing first by combining all dressing ingredients in blender container and blending thoroughly. Store in refrigerator, until ready to use. If dressing separates, blend briefly before using.
- Season chicken with salt, cover with water and simmer until tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove chicken from broth and allow to cool.
- When cool, cut chicken tenders into strips 1 inch long. Saute chicken in 2 tbs peanut oil until crisp. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add remaining peanut oil to the skillet and heat until very hot. Add rice and fry, stirring constantly until hard and grainy, about 2 minutes. If skillet is not very hot, the rice will stick.
- Toss rice with lettuce, sautéed chicken, green onion, plum sauce and sesame seed dressing right before serving.