1/3 Photos of Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli ) With Oyster Sauce
Very quick and delicious preparation for gai lan or kai lan. Gai lan is sometimes referred to as Chinese broccoli. The stalks are thinner than regular broccoli and as a bonus you also get to eat beautiful yellow gai lan flowers that are often bundled together. This dish is often served at dim sum restaurants. Cooking time is very, very quick and should not be overcooked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb gai lan
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed but left intact
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sake (or sherry) or 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine (or sherry)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3/4 inch fresh ginger, cut into 1/4 inch coins and smashed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1Wash the gai lan and trim the ends of stalk (about 1/2 inch) and discard the ends.
- 2Mix the chicken stock, sake, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- 3In a large wok or pan heat 1 1/2 T vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the garlic cloves and cook until lightly golden about 1 to 2 minutes. Be careful you do not burn the garlic.
- 4Turn the heat to high and add the ginger and cook for 15 to 20 seconds and add gai lan stalks.
- 5With a large spoon or spatula scoop up the oil and bathe the gai lan stalks for about 1 minute.
- 6Pour the chicken stock mixture and immediately cover the wok or the pan with a tight fitting lid.
- 7Turn down the heat to medium and let gai lan steam for about 3-4 minutes. You should be able to easily pierce with the stalks with a fork.
- 8Remove the gai lan to a plate, leaving any remaining stock mixture in the wok or the pan and add oyster sauce and sesame oil. Cook for about 1 minute on medium high and pour the sauce over the cooked gai lan and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli ) With Oyster Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 77.5
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.4 mg
- Sodium 390.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: