Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
An authentic Chinese fried rice that uses leftover ham. Shrimp or other ingredients can also be added. It can be prepared with or without soy sauce.
- cold, cooked long grain rice
- vegetable oil
- 1 -2 beaten egg
- raw shrimp, cut in pieces (optional)
- leftover ham, diced (or any leftover meat, poultry or seafood)
- dry sherry
- light soy sauce (optional)
- frozen peas, defrosted
- sliced yellow onions or Spanish onion
- white pepper (optional)
- The rice should be smoothed out to get rid of any lumps.
- Day old, cold rice works best.
- If using eggs (recommended), lightly beat them with a pinch of salt.
- Heat a little oil in your wok, pour eggs in and tilt the wok back and forth to spread evenly.
- Lift the edges to let the uncooked portion come in contact with the hot pan so it cooks evenly.
- After the eggs set up a little, lightly scramble them so you have medium small pieces.
- Remove eggs to a bowl.
- Wipe out wok.
- If adding raw shrimp, heat a little more oil and stir fry them to just cook.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Wipe out wok again.
- Heat a little more oil.
- Add the onions& stir fry until they start to darken.
- Stir in the rice, breaking up any lumps you missed.
- Drizzle a little dry sherry down the sides of the wok.
- (The surface of the wok should be slick with oil. If too dry looking, drizzle a little more oil down the sides of the wok).
- If you want the rice to look brown, drizzle in a little light soy sauce.
- Stir in all of the other ingredients and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Continue to stir and cook until heated through.
Loved this rice! Very easy and tasty. I used bacon instead of shrimp, green onions instead of yellow and added mushrooms,corn and chilli flakes. This recipe is very adaptable.