1/2 Photos of Fried Rice Dinner
This is my adaptation of a recipe that appeared in Woman's Day magazine in 1986. It is my favourite way to use up leftover roast turkey but can be used with what ever meat you happen to have on hand. The original recipe suggested lunch meat and ham or sausage should also work. My family enjoys this and like many other fried rice recipes it can be adapted or tweaked in many ways to suit your own personal taste or whatever you have on hand. If you like your foods spicy, sprinkle in some dried crushed chilis while preparing the veggies or rice. I add the soy sauce the way the original recipe called for but you could leave it out and allow folks to season it to their own tastes at the table. You could use prepackaged coleslaw veggies to speed up preparation for this. Other crisp veggies such as broccoli, pepper strips, bok choy, and peas (in pods or not) could be added. Use your imagination! Just make sure that you have between 4 and 5 cups of veggies if you want to have your 4 serving yield.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage, packed
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely shredded carrots
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot (to taste) (optional)
- 1 garlic clove (slivered or minced, to taste)
- 3 cups cooked white rice, approximately
- 2 large eggs, beaten with
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 cups slivered cooked turkey or 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken or 1 1/2 cups cooked pork or 1 1/2 cups cooked beef
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1Heat about 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet (non-stick works best).
- 2Add cabbage, carrot, onion, ginger and garlic and stir fry about 5 to 7 minutes or until tender crisp.
- 3Transfer to a bowl to keep warm.
- 4Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in the same skillet and add the rice and meat slivers, cook stirring constantly about 2 to 5 minutes or until hot.
- 5Reduce heat to medium and push the rice out to the edge of the pan to make a large well.
- 6Pour in the eggs.
- 7Cook 2 or 3 minutes without stirring until almost set.
- 8With a spoon or other utensil, break the eggs into small pieces and mix into the rice.
- 9Return the vegetables to the pan, season with black pepper and add the soy sauce.
- 10Toss about 1 or 2 minutes to heat through.
- 11Sprinkle the green onions over the top and serve.
- 12Makes 4 generous servings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Rice Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 459.6
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 145.6 mg
- Sodium 1447.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 26.0 g