Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
The brown sugar and soy sauce cook down creating a sticky sauce on these cute little chicken packets. From Sunset April 2008. These should be made at least an hour ahead of time to allow time to marinate.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (regular)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and cut into thinnest possible slivers
- 1 lb chicken thigh pieces, boned and skinned and cut into bite-size pieces and strips
- 2 green onions, cut into 2-in . lengths and then into slivers
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, dark soy sauce, and ginger. Add chicken, toss to coat, cover, and chill for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lay out 8 pieces of aluminum foil, 6 to 8 inches long each. Put 1/8 of the marinated chicken in the middle of each. Top chicken with green onions and sprinkle with pepper. Fold 1 side of foil over the chicken to cover it, fold opposite side of foil over first fold, and then fold in each end once to seal and create a little packet.
- Lay packets on a foil- or parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet (packets will leak while cooking, and the marinade is difficult to clean up once it cooks onto a pan). Bake until chicken is cooked through and marinade is reduced and starting to caramelize in each packet, 45 to 60 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
MMmm yummy! I love this recipe! A few changes; I used chicken breasts (one in each packet), grated my ginger and omitted the dark soy sauce. It came out perfect and tender.
Very easy and delicious! I used grated ginger instead of slivering the gingerroot (which saved me a lot of time!). The chicken came out perfect and wonderfully caramelized! I will definitely start using this recipe in my regular rotation of dinner meals! Thank you!