Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Cooking time includes time to marinate beef. I combined the marinade from one recipe, the sauce from another, and the result is tender and tasty beef in this stir-fry.
- 1 lb beef rump or 1 lb sirloin steaks or 1 lb beef tenderloin steak, sliced thin
- assorted chopped vegetables (bell peppers, carrots, celery, bean sprouts, mushrooms, bamboo, broccoli, etc.)
- tofu, cubed (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine or 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced or grated
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder (optional)
- Combine beef and marinade in zipper-type plastic bag.
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 3 hours.
- Heat 2 T oil in wok.
- Stir-fry/pan-fry the meat in 2 batches until cooked through.
- Remove meat to a warm dish.
- Add chopped vegetables and a bit of oil to wok.
- Stir-fry until crisp-tender.
- Return meat to wok.
- Add tofu if desired.
- Stir-fry until heated through.
- Add sauce; cook to desired thickness.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice, if desired.
I really enjoyed the marinade for this stir-fry, very simply and just the right amount, the beef wasn't dripping wet when it hit the pan, so it cooked up nicely. I did feel that the sauce needed a little more pizazz, but that is a personal prefernece. I added some garlic, a little more soy sauce, some ground ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes. I did use the optional 1/2 teaspoon of Chinese 5 Spice powder, but next time I would cut back to about 1/8-1/4 teaspoon. Will be making this again, thanks for sharing!
Grate recipe the next time I will thin out the sauce