I know there are a ton of Tso's Chicken (pronounced by the cook as "sho"). This one is exactly like the Tso's at Evergreen, the restaurant I frequent. This makes lots of sticky sauce, just great for going over rice. They are closed on Mondays, so if I'm craving Chinese, I have to make it at home, which is always better.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken, in bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons good quality soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- oil, for frying
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup good-quality soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 red chilies (I get these at the Mexican market, much cheaper! You can use more or less, depending on how hot you)
- In a zip-top bag, combine marinade and chicken. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. While marinating, assemble rest of ingredients (except chilies) and combine in a bowl. This step is very important because after you fry the chicken, this recipe moves VERY fast!
- After marinating, fry chicken and drain. Keep warm.
- Drain the oil if any is left. Toast the chilies in a drop of oil, being careful not to burn them.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until the cornstarch is combined; add to the skillet and bring to a boil and reduce heat. Mixture should thicken up a bit.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and heat through.
These directions are confusing. What is the marinade? Please be more specific in telling the marinade ingredients.
THIS IS THE BEST General Tso's Chicken I have ever made!!!! LOOK NO FURTHER THIS IS THE ONLY RECIPE YOU NEED!! Iv'e tried so many others but was always disapointed so I was very skeptical about trying another, But we love Tso's chicken and This recipe didn't have alot of reviews but the ones it did have were so good so I gave it a try. So glad I did. Tried another recipe that had alot more reviews that sounded great but it wasn't nearly as good as this one. this was Perfect, thanks so much for sharing.
Oh wow. This is... well, I just want to cry is what. I love Tso's Chicken. But this... this is like Tso's Chicken only better. I wonder if I can get Tom to make this instead of doing take-away? Fabulous! Thank you for sharing!