Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is a delicious side dish to serve with your Chinese dinner if you enjoy eggplant. The recipe is from a January 1986 issue of Bon Appetit in the "Cooking for Friends" section.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants, cut into 1-inch chunks (unpeeled)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili paste with garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (whites and part of green tops)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1Heat 4 tablespoons peanut oil in heavy 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add eggplant and stir-fry until soft, about 3 minutes.
- 3Remove, using slotted spoon; set aside.
- 4Add remaining peanut oil to skillet and warm over medium heat.
- 5Add garlic, chili paste and ginger and cook 15 seconds.
- 6Add stock, soy sauce and sugar and bring to boil.
- 7Add vinegar and eggplant and cook until eggplant has absorbed most of sauce, about 1 minute.
- 8Stir in green onion and sesame oil.
- 9Serve hot, removing eggplant with slotted spoon.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Hunan Style
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.9
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 199.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili paste with garlic