Cook1 hr 30 mins
Very easy and delicious one-pot-meal. May substitute chicken with other meat e.g. pork/beef. Stirring is important, to achieve smooth congee. NOTE: Usually when cooking congee with electric rice cooker, i need to click it 'on' a few times after it switched off (automatically) because congee has to simmer for some time to be smooth.
- 1⁄2 cup rice (not quick-cooking)
- 3 -4 cups water (may use chicken/vege broth)
- 2 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut to thin slices
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 dash black pepper (according to your taste)
- 6 pieces shiitake mushrooms, julienned
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- sesame oil
- black pepper or white pepper
- Rice cooker: Dump all ingredients (except garnishes) into rice cooker, turn it on and stir occasionally, until congee is smooth and no longer grainy.
- Stovetop: Combine all ingredients (except garnishes) in a medium saucepan, bring to boil over medium heat then turn down heat and let simmer until water has been absorbed.
- Add more water/broth if necessary (for both methods)
- Sprinkle with black/white pepper, a few drops of sesame oil and chopped scallions just before serving.