Andrew Mollmann's Note:
I wouldn't classify it as burning, but it was pretty tasty! The original recipe from here: http://appetiteforchina.com/recipes/dan-dan-mian-sichuan-spicy-noodles calls for waaaay too much salt. On top of the salt in the soy sauce and chicken stock, it says to add 3 whole teaspoons. I only added 2 and if I make it again, I'll only put in 1/2tsp. The recipe below reflects this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces pork, minced
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon szechuan peppercorns, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces chicken stock
- 12 ounces udon noodles (I used rice noodles)
- 1/2 cup peanuts, roasted, finedly chopped
- 1Combine pork and soy sauce in a small bowl and mix well.
- 2Heat a wok or large skillet until hot. Stir-fry, stirring with a spatula to break it into small pieces. When the pork is lightly browned, about 3 minutes, remove and set aside.
- 3Bring a large pot of water to boil. (This will be for the noodles.) While the water is heating, go to the next step.
- 4Reheat the wok (add oil if needed) and stir-fry the garlic, ginger, and onions until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- 5Add peanut butter, soy sauce, chilli oil, sesame oil, Sichuan pepper, salt, and chicken stock and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, when the pot of water has come to boil, toss in noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain well.
- 7To serve, divide noodles into individual bowls or put them all into a large bowl for sharing. Ladle the sauce on top, top with pork and chopped peanuts, and serve while hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dan Dan Mian - Sichuan Spicy Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.1
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 40.3 mg
- Sodium 2219.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 29.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: