Leslie in Texas's Note:
This recipe is similar to the lettuce wraps that are so popular in Asian restauants. It was in the R.S.V.P. section of a June 1982 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. It was requested from the Shun Lee Palace in New York City. Preparation time will be reduced if all chopping is done in a food processor. Once the prep is done the lettuce wraps come quickly together!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large chicken breast, skinned, boned, sliced and cut into tiny cubes (about 2 c. total, this is easier to do when chicken is partially frozen)
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 long green chilies, cored, seeded and cut into small cubes (hot or mild)
- 10 -12 water chestnuts, cut into small cubes (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 3 tablespoons finely diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons shaohsing wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated (cored)
- 1Combine chicken,egg white,1 tablespoon cornstarch and salt in medium bowl and stir to blend well.
- 2Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- 3Combine chilies, water chestnuts,celery,carrot and ginger in another bowl.
- 4Combine green onion and garlic in separate bowl.
- 5Mix wine, soy sauce, chili paste and sugar in another bowl.
- 6Blend remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch and water in small bowl, mixing until smooth.
- 7Pour peanut oil into wok;place over high heat.
- 8When oil begins to smoke, add chicken in batches and cook, stirring constantly to separate cubes, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- 9Remove chicken with slotted spoon, drain well on paper towels and set aside.
- 10Pour off all but 2 tablespoons peanut oil from wok and return to high heat.
- 11Add water chestnut mixture and cook, stirring constantly about 30 seconds.
- 12Add green onions and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 10 seconds.
- 13Return chicken to wok and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
- 14Add wine mixture and sesame oil; restir dissolved cornstarch.
- 15Add to wok and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
- 16Transfer to heated platter.
- 17Spoon chicken mixture into lettuce leaves and fold over to enclose; serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cubed Chicken in Lettuce Leaves ( Yang Chow Chicken Soong)
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 740.6
- Calories from Fat 673
- Total Fat 74.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 324.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili paste with garlic