Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is similar to the lettuce wraps that are so popular in Asian restauants. It was in the R.S.V.P. section of a June 1982 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. It was requested from the Shun Lee Palace in New York City. Preparation time will be reduced if all chopping is done in a food processor. Once the prep is done the lettuce wraps come quickly together!
- 1 large chicken breast, skinned, boned, sliced and cut into tiny cubes (about 2 c. total, this is easier to do when chicken is partially frozen)
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 long green chilies, cored, seeded and cut into small cubes (hot or mild)
- 10 -12 water chestnuts, cut into small cubes (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery
- 3 tablespoons finely diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons shaohsing wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated (cored)
- Combine chicken,egg white,1 tablespoon cornstarch and salt in medium bowl and stir to blend well.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Combine chilies, water chestnuts,celery,carrot and ginger in another bowl.
- Combine green onion and garlic in separate bowl.
- Mix wine, soy sauce, chili paste and sugar in another bowl.
- Blend remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch and water in small bowl, mixing until smooth.
- Pour peanut oil into wok;place over high heat.
- When oil begins to smoke, add chicken in batches and cook, stirring constantly to separate cubes, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove chicken with slotted spoon, drain well on paper towels and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons peanut oil from wok and return to high heat.
- Add water chestnut mixture and cook, stirring constantly about 30 seconds.
- Add green onions and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 10 seconds.
- Return chicken to wok and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
- Add wine mixture and sesame oil; restir dissolved cornstarch.
- Add to wok and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
- Transfer to heated platter.
- Spoon chicken mixture into lettuce leaves and fold over to enclose; serve hot.