Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Duck confit - seasoned duck leg quarters slowly roasted in duck fat - is fully cooked and can be found in the meat section of specialty grocers. Look for egg roll wrappers in the international freezer section or near the tofu products. Pomegranate concentrate can be found in many markets and Middle Eastern specialty stores. If plating the Crispy Duck Rolls with a green salad, double the dipping sauce. If there is extra sauce, you can make vinaigrette - whisk in about half the volume of fruity extra virgin olive oil, then season to taste.
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice mix
- 1⁄2 lb duck confit
- 10 -12 egg roll wraps
- 1 small carrot, cut into very small dice
- 10 ounces prepared hummus
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped (about 2 ounces)
- 2 green onions, green parts, sliced very thinly on the diagonal
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Pomegranate Dipping Sauce
- 4 teaspoons pomegranate concentrate
- 2 tablespoons fruity dry red wine (Pinot Noir)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons water
- For the Duck Rolls:.
- Cook the rice in well-salted water, according to package directions. Set aside in a small bowl. While rice is cooking, remove duck leg confit from the bones, discard any skin, then cut larger pieces of meat into smaller slices; set aside.
- On a clean, dry work surface, place one wrapper with one corner facing you. Keep remaining wrappers from drying out by covering them with a barely damp paper towel.
- Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons hummus horizontally about 2 1/2 to 3 inches from the corner closest to you. Spread about 2 tablespoons rice on top of the hummus, then a teaspoon of carrots, and a lesser amount of the cranberries and green onion. Finish with a few pieces of duck.
- Pick up the corner and bring it tightly against the ingredients, shaping it into a cylinder while leaving the left and right corners free. Roll cylinder about 1/2 turn away from you before snugly folding in the sides. Continue rolling, then dampen the open edges with water to seal.
- The rolls can be assembled several hours ahead, dusted with cornstarch, then kept in a single layer covered with plastic wrap.
- In a deep pan or wok, heat about 1/2 inch of oil to 350°-375°. Gently slide a few rolls into the oil and cook for 2-2 1/2 minutes, turning as needed to evenly brown. Allow plenty of room for rolls to cook, which will also help keep the oil temperature from dropping too much.
- Drain on paper towel-lined baking sheet. Keep warm in a 250° oven if needed, while you finish cooking the rest of the rolls. Cut each roll into 2 or 3 pieces and serve with Pomegranate Dipping Sauce on the side.
- For the Pomegranate Dipping Sauce:.
- Whisk ingredients together in a small bowl. Sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.