This is my favorite way to eat chow mein. I prefer to always have that crispy layer of noodles at the bottom--but watch out, or else I'll eat all the crispy bits before anyone else gets a chance! You can add other veggies, or different meats, depending on what you prefer. From AlohaWorld.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces thin egg noodles (1-2 packages regardless of oz, steamed)
- 3/4 cup corn oil or 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup marinated beef (or pork, chicken, shrimp, etc)
- 1 sliced round onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 4 celery ribs (diced)
- bean sprouts
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken stock
- 8 3/4 ounces sliced button mushrooms (small can)
- 8 3/4 ounces sliced bamboo shoots (small can)
- 8 3/4 ounces sliced water chestnuts (small can)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1Marinate selected meat(s) with 1 tsp of corn starch, ½ tsp of sherry, ½ tsp of soy sauce, garlic, and a pinch of baking soda.
- 2Set aside for 15 minutes or longer.
- 3Heat wok or large pot with ¾ - 1 cup corn or vegetable oil until smoking.
- 4Pan fry fresh noodles until crispy golden brown and set aside in a serving container or platter.
- 5Sear meat(s) and set aside with noodles for later.
- 6Add a little oil to the wok (approx. 2 tablespoons) and stir fry veggies except for the bean sprouts.
- 7Mix chicken stock with corn starch to thicken sauce and add rest of the ingredients.
- 8Either mix noodles with the thickened sauce or serve over the fried noodles (Hong Kong Style).
- 9Flavor with sesame oil and garnish with cilantro for presentation.
- 10Noodles are available as packaged fresh thin "steamed" egg noodles in Asian markets not to be confused with the thin "egg noodle balls" for won ton soups.
- 11The latter tends to get gooey and starchy when using "lower heat temperatured" home stoves.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chow Mein (Hong Kong Style)
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 678.0
- Calories from Fat 421
- Total Fat 46.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 54.2 mg
- Sodium 1007.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 24.2 g