Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fried rice is what you make when you have leftover rice from the meal before. You can clean out your fridge and add leftover diced cooked pork, chicken or beef, or vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, carrots or red peppers. Fast, delicious and easy. From the Take-Out Menu Cookbook.
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 8 shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 ounces ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus more for seasoning
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups cold leftover cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- Heat 2 Tblsp of the oil in a wok or frying pan set over medium heat. Add the shrimp, ham, and peas and cook 1 minute. Add the soy sauce and transfer to a plate to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon oil in the pan. Add the eggs, green onions, salt & pepper.
- Scramble the eggs in the pan. Once this mixture comes together in clumps, add the rice, shrimp mixture, and rice wine. Adjust the seasoning with soy sauce or salt & pepper. Serve hot.
- Feel free to saute cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, or diced carrots along with the shrimp, ham and peas.
- Use cold leftover rice only. This recipe won't work well with freshly cooked rice. It will be mushy and stick to the pan, a real mess.
Fantastic!! My family liked this a lot! My only change was I left out the meat and added carrots. As we were having this with another meat with sauce. I also used fresh rice which I cooled and washed well with cold water. Drained and washed again to remove the sticky starch. Drain well again before putting in skillet. Made my version of Chinese take out a hit.Thanks for sharing. I will be making this often.
I had no rice wine or sherry so made it without (just added a little extra soy sauce) and it was fabulous!! Great recipe!!!
This was just like the Chines take-out. I used the peas and carrots as vegetables. Made for 123 Hit Wonders.