2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Great for casual entertaining, when you fancy a warming beef stew but with some more vibrant flavours. Can be frozen for up to 1 month.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, peeled and shredded
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced (use more if you lite it spicy)
- 3 lbs stewing beef, cut into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, well seasoned with salt and pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 star anise (optional)
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar (or use whatever you've got)
- 3 tablespoons Chinese wine or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce, plus more to serve
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large, shallow casserole.
- 2Fry the garlic, ginger, scallions and chili for 3 mins until soft and fragrant. Tip onto a plate. Toss the beef in the flour, add 1 tbsp more oil to the pan, then brown the meat in batches, adding more oil if you need to. It should take about 5 mins to brown each batch properly.
- 3Add the five-spice and star anise (if using) to the pan, tip in the gingery mix, then fry for 1 min until the spices are fragrant.
- 4Add the sugar, then the beef and stir until combined. Keep the heat high, then splash in the wine or sherry, scraping up any meaty bits. Heat oven to 300°F
- 5Pour in the soy and broth (it won't cover the meat completely), bring to a simmer, then tightly cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 1½-2 hrs, stirring the meat halfway through.
- 6The meat should be very soft, and any sinewy bits should have melted away. Season with more soy.
- 7This can now be chilled and frozen for up to 1 month.
- 8Serve with steamed bok choy and white rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese-Style Braised Beef One-Pot
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.9
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 145.1 mg
- Sodium 986.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 52.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder