1/2 Photos of Chinese Soy Sauce Chicken
This recipe is an adaptation from a basic soy sauce chicken recipe from the internet and consultation with my grandma. I can eat this everyday! You can use skinless, boneless chicken parts, but the taste won't be the same.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, cut into parts
- 1/3-1/2 cup soy sauce (use low sodium if you like)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine or 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 -2 piece star anise
- 2 cloves garlic
- chopped birds eye chile (optional)
- 1 stalk scallion, chopped
- sesame seeds
- 1Mix all ingredients, except chicken, scallions, sesame seeds in a large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add chicken, then let simmer 30-40 minutes, turning chicken pieces occasionally.
- 3Remove chicken pieces from sauce and set aside in a serving platter.
- 4Skim fat from the sauce, thicken it with cornstarch mixture (1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 TB water) and pour the sauce over chicken.
- 5Sprinkle scallions and sesame seeds and serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Soy Sauce Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.1
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 115.0 mg
- Sodium 1085.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 30.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: