I am not sure where we found the original recipe but we have adapted it to be a household favorite! This is a mild but flavorful soup that goes well with spring rolls for a lighter meal.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces firm tofu
- 2 cups bok choy, chopped
- 2 cups Chinese cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup snow peas, cut in half
- In a large pan, saute the carrots, onion, ginger and garlic in oil until onion is tender.
- Add the water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While soup is simmering, prepare tofu. Remove excess water and slice tofu into three large slabs. Fry in oil until both sides are browned. Drain on a paper towel. Cut tofu slabs into 1/2 inch cubes.
- After soup has simmered for 15 minutes, add tofu cubes, bok choy, cabbage and snow peas. Simmer for 10 minutes.