Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 120 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a traditional Chinese pickled dish that can be served with any meal. The recipe is from "Florence Lin's Chinese Regional Cookbook." Many different types of vegetables can be used instead of, or in combination with, the cabbage.
- Cut the cabbage in pieces roughly 1" X 1 1/2" and separate the leaves.
- (There should be about 8 C).
- Using a 1 to 1 1/2 quart wide-mouth jar, dissolve the salt in the hot water; add the cold water, Szechuan peppercorns and chilies and mix well.
- When cool, add the gin and cabbage.
- Cover and refrigerate 4- 5 days.
- Remove the cabbage from the liquid and serve cold.
- The brine can be used over and over again (keep it refrigerated, of course).
- Add 2 t more salt every time you use it.
- After the first use it only takes about 2- 3 days for the cabbage to pickle.
- You'll need to add more chilies and another tablespoon gin after using the brine twice.
- Other vegetables can be used as well as cabbage.
- Try it with nappa, green beans, lo bok (dai kon in Japanese) or carrots.
- The vegetables can be combined.