Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great pepper steak recipe with simple ingredients. My dad loves this...says it is better than any he has ever had in restaurants. Good served with egg rolls on the side.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, cut in strips
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- hot cooked rice
- Cut meat across grain into 1/2-inch thick slices, then slice again in lengthwise pieces.
- Brown meat in oil in large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, and 1 cup water to browned meat.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes, or until meat is tender.
- Add green pepper strips, onions, and celery.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes longer.
- In small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water and stir until smooth.
- Stir into meat mixture with remaining ingredients, except rice.
- Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened.
- Serve over rice.
Wonderful recipe,Manda!!The whole family raved about this one!!!I didnt add the celery or worchestershire sauce,still turned out an A+++.Sauce was nice and thick,perfect over the rice.Meat was tender and fell apart as we served ourselves,cant wait to make this again.I put this on then walked away,45 min later I had a great dish to feed my family!!Thanks again,Manda!!
I'm not sure why this was such a raving hit with everyone else. I followed the recipe (minus celery) exactly. To me it was a good solid recipe, but it's missing that IT factor that sets it apart.
Boy, o boy!This was terrific! I don't know what inspired me to make pepper steak today but I know my corner pork store has pepper steak cuts all read to go, so I picked some up and used this recipe! I LOVED the flavor this recipe creates. The only thing I omitted was the celery and I browned the veggies in a bit of oil and soy sauce before adding to the meat. I will be making this again and again. Thanks for sharing!!