Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from a Chinese friend. Simple and delicious especially when she made it!
Make and share this Chinese New Year Whole Fish With Sweet and Sour Vegetables recipe from Food.com.
- 1 kg fish, cleaned and scaled
- vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh ginger
- 1 red chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Score the fish flesh, cutting 3-4 diagonal slits through to the bone on both sides.
- Season with salt rubbing the salt into the cuts.
- Cook under a preheated grill 4 minutes each side. Alternatively bbq it.
- Meanwhile heat a wok, add a little oil, add ginger, chilli and vegetables tossing well over high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add soy and oyster sauces, sugar, vinegar and sesame oil and bring to the boil.
- In a bowl mix cornflour to a smooth paste with some cold water, add to the pan and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Place fish on serving platter and spoon sauce and vegetables over the top.
Really enjoyed this! I reduced the sauce too much so just added a cup of water and it was fine (pineapple juice would be good too!) - I plan to use this yummy sauce as THE sweet and sour for use with all meats, tofu and veg! Thank you!
We made this last night with a fish my kids caught, and it was wonderful. There wasn't a drop of fish or vegetables left over. We grilled the fish outside on the BBQ instead of in the oven, and I put a whole sprig of rosemany inside the fish, which also gave it a nice flavor.
Great combination of broiled whole fish and sweet & sour veggies. I have used gilthead sea bream and the flavours worked very well together. It is simple to made and delcious as Wendy promised it. I follwoed the recipe exactyl, except that I broiled my fish 2 minutes longer on each side until its was done.Thank you for sharing.