Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a recipe that came from our church's first cookbook more than 30 years ago. We like to serve it with cooked rice and a vegetable.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms or 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white rice, washed
- 1 can chinese noodles, crisp
- Brown meat in skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients except noodles.
- Stir well and pour into a 2 quart casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle noodles over top and return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Serves 8.
What a wonderful casserole! I followed the recipe exactly except I used green onions instread because that is what I had on hand and I wanted to use them up. Loved the combination of flavors!!!This is a very easy on-dish meal that I will be making over and over again. Thanks so much Chicagopm!! :-)
This went over pretty well here, all in all. It didn't look anywhere close to getting done after 30 minutes, so I dumped it into a pan, added some water and covered it to let it finish that way. That worked out well. If I do this again, I'll probably just make the ground beef/soup stuff on the stove, use cooked rice, and then bake the final little bit with the noodles on top. I served it with steamed broc. that I tossed some garlic, soy sauce, and slivered almonds into. Good little meal that my family would probably go for again. Thanks for something new to try out!
My mother used to make this but the rice was cooked in the pot with the hamburger, soup mixture. Not the prettiest looking dish, but one of my favorites.