1 hr 15 mins
My version of Chinese Egg Rolls. Family and neighbors love these.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground pork (NOT pork sausage)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 -3 cups shredded and chopped napa cabbage
- 1 cup finely diced bamboo shoot
- 4 finely minced scallions, including tender green tops
- 1 cup coarsley chopped canned mung bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili paste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- 12 -14 egg roll wraps
- oil, to fill deep fryer according to mfg directions heated to 350 degrees (F)
- 1HINT: Put egg roll wrappers in freezer the night before and then thaw about 1 hour before using.
- 2This seems to make them separate more easily.
- 3Brown pork with 1 TBS soy sauce in wok, drain, remove from wok, and set aside.
- 4Add peanut oil to wok and stir-fry vegetables until slightly wilted.
- 5(3 or 4 minutes) Combine pork and vegetables in wok.
- 6Mix well soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili paste, and cornstarch.
- 7Add to meat-vegetable mix and stir until mixture becomes quite thick.
- 8Mixture should be very sticky with a minimum of moisture.
- 9Cool mixture to room temperature.
- 10Place egg roll wrapper on hard, flat surface with one corner pointing towards you.
- 11Place 1/3 cup meat-vegetable mixture in center of wrapper.
- 12Fold lower corner over and then under meat mixture, squeezing as much air out as possible.
- 13Brush exposed egg roll wrapper edges with egg wash.
- 14Fold side corners over egg roll.
- 15Finish by rolling egg roll towards upper corner, again squeezing out as much air as possible.
- 16Deep fry until golden brown.
- 17NOTE: finely minced, cooked shrimp or browned, ground chicken may be substituted for pork.
- 18DIPPING SAUCES FOR EGG ROLLS.
- 19Catsup-horseradish (1/4 cup catsup, 1 TBS prepared horseradish).
- 20Soy Sauce/Hoisin (3 TBS soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp hoisin sauce).
- 21Catsup/Hot Mustard (Place equal amounts side-by-side do NOT mix).
- 22Sweet and Sour Sauce (commercially available).
- 23Plum Sauce (commercially available).
- 24Teriyaki Sauce (commercially available).
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Egg Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.9
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 45.6 mg
- Sodium 471.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 11.3 g