Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
My version of Chinese Egg Rolls. Family and neighbors love these.
Make and share this Chinese Egg Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground pork (NOT pork sausage)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 -3 cups shredded and chopped napa cabbage
- 1 cup finely diced bamboo shoot
- 4 finely minced scallions, including tender green tops
- 1 cup coarsley chopped canned mung bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- 12 -14 egg roll wraps
- oil, to fill deep fryer according to mfg directions heated to 350 degrees (F)
- HINT: Put egg roll wrappers in freezer the night before and then thaw about 1 hour before using.
- This seems to make them separate more easily.
- Brown pork with 1 TBS soy sauce in wok, drain, remove from wok, and set aside.
- Add peanut oil to wok and stir-fry vegetables until slightly wilted.
- (3 or 4 minutes) Combine pork and vegetables in wok.
- Mix well soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili paste, and cornstarch.
- Add to meat-vegetable mix and stir until mixture becomes quite thick.
- Mixture should be very sticky with a minimum of moisture.
- Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Place egg roll wrapper on hard, flat surface with one corner pointing towards you.
- Place 1/3 cup meat-vegetable mixture in center of wrapper.
- Fold lower corner over and then under meat mixture, squeezing as much air out as possible.
- Brush exposed egg roll wrapper edges with egg wash.
- Fold side corners over egg roll.
- Finish by rolling egg roll towards upper corner, again squeezing out as much air as possible.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- NOTE: finely minced, cooked shrimp or browned, ground chicken may be substituted for pork.
- DIPPING SAUCES FOR EGG ROLLS.
- Catsup-horseradish (1/4 cup catsup, 1 TBS prepared horseradish).
- Soy Sauce/Hoisin (3 TBS soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp hoisin sauce).
- Catsup/Hot Mustard (Place equal amounts side-by-side do NOT mix).
- Sweet and Sour Sauce (commercially available).
- Plum Sauce (commercially available).
- Teriyaki Sauce (commercially available).
Perfect! I watched a video that show how to wrap the rolls since I had never done it before and stacked them on a plate and put in frig prior to cooking as instructed. Don't do that. My roll wraps stuck together tearing some of the wraps. Cook as you use egg wash or you will have sort of a mess. This is a good recipe and will use again.
This is as close to the old recipe that I have found, thanks
THESE ARE TERRIFIC! My family and I have tried sooo many recipes for egg rolls and this one is by far the BEST! The filling tasted authenic and the cornstarch tip works wonders controling the water content. Next time I'm doubling the recipe to have extra for freezing. Thanks so much for posting.