Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My version of Chinese Egg Rolls. Family and neighbors love these.
Make and share this Chinese Egg Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground pork (NOT pork sausage)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 -3 cups shredded and chopped napa cabbage
- 1 cup finely diced bamboo shoot
- 4 finely minced scallions, including tender green tops
- 1 cup coarsley chopped canned mung bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- 12 -14 egg roll wraps
- oil, to fill deep fryer according to mfg directions heated to 350 degrees (F)
- HINT: Put egg roll wrappers in freezer the night before and then thaw about 1 hour before using.
- This seems to make them separate more easily.
- Brown pork with 1 TBS soy sauce in wok, drain, remove from wok, and set aside.
- Add peanut oil to wok and stir-fry vegetables until slightly wilted.
- (3 or 4 minutes) Combine pork and vegetables in wok.
- Mix well soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili paste, and cornstarch.
- Add to meat-vegetable mix and stir until mixture becomes quite thick.
- Mixture should be very sticky with a minimum of moisture.
- Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Place egg roll wrapper on hard, flat surface with one corner pointing towards you.
- Place 1/3 cup meat-vegetable mixture in center of wrapper.
- Fold lower corner over and then under meat mixture, squeezing as much air out as possible.
- Brush exposed egg roll wrapper edges with egg wash.
- Fold side corners over egg roll.
- Finish by rolling egg roll towards upper corner, again squeezing out as much air as possible.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- NOTE: finely minced, cooked shrimp or browned, ground chicken may be substituted for pork.
- DIPPING SAUCES FOR EGG ROLLS.
- Catsup-horseradish (1/4 cup catsup, 1 TBS prepared horseradish).
- Soy Sauce/Hoisin (3 TBS soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp hoisin sauce).
- Catsup/Hot Mustard (Place equal amounts side-by-side do NOT mix).
- Sweet and Sour Sauce (commercially available).
- Plum Sauce (commercially available).
- Teriyaki Sauce (commercially available).