1/2 Photos of Chinese Cinnamon Beef Noodle Soup
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This was published in a Fine Cooking magazine a couple of years ago. I was so excited to have found a relatively easy yet very flavorful noodle soup for my family. My husband (the ultimate food critic) loves this and doesn't mind eating it for days. He says it reminds him of when he was in Taiwan. High praise, indeed! Packaged stewing beef is often made up of irregularly shaped pieces from different cuts, so I cut my own stew meat using a boneless chuck roast or two 3/4 inch thick chuck steaks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 cinnamon sticks (about 3 inches each)
- 6 scallions, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons asian chili paste
- 7 cups water
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 9 ounces fresh udon noodles (or 6 ounces dried)
- 1 1/2 lbs bok choy
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1Cut beef chuck into 3/4 in thick chunks if you did not purchase precut stewing beef.
- 2Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. When very hot, add the cinnamon, scallions, garlic, ginger, anise seeds, and chile paste; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 3Add the water, broth, soy sauce, and vinegar; bring to boil over high heat.
- 4Add the meat and bring to vigorous simmer. Lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, partially covered, until the meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, checking to be sure that the soup doesn''t boil or stop simmering.
- 5Shortly before the soup is done, bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the noodles according to package directions until just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- 6When the meat is tender, remove the cinnamon sticks. Add the bok choy to the soup and simmer until the stalks are crisp-tender and the greens are very tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the noodles and let them warm through. Serve immediately, garnished with the cilantro leaves.
- 7I'm guessing on the serving size as I no longer follow the recipe. I use the ingredient list as a guide.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Cinnamon Beef Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (598 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.9
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 124.7 mg
- Sodium 1627.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 47.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh udon noodles