1/1 Photo of Chinese Chicken Burgers With Rainbow Sesame Slaw-Contest Winner!
This is Brigitte Nguyen's $50,000 Grand Prize recipe in the 2009 National Chicken Cooking Contest put on by the National Chicken Council. Geared to big appetites, it could easily be turned into eight burgers rather than six. Cook them on the grill or in a frying pan if you prefer. As a shortcut, you could substitute 2 cups of already-grated cabbage for the julienned vegetables in the slaw. Look for Sriracha chile sauce on the Asian aisle of the supermarket. Any type of Asian chile sauce may be substituted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 1/3 cup sliced scallion
- 6 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- sliced scallion
Sriracha Lime Mayo
Rainbow Sesame Slaw
- 2/3 cup julienned bell pepper (red, orange, yellow or any color combination)
- 2/3 cup julienned snow peas (strings removed)
- 2/3 cup julienned jicama
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1In large bowl, mix together ground chicken, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, lemongrass and scallions. Divide the mixture into 6 patties and set aside.
- 2Place a grill pan over medium heat. Spread softened butter on hamburger buns and place on grill pan until light brown. Wipe grill pan with paper towel and brush with vegetable oil.
- 3Place chicken patties on grill pan and cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, about 7 minutes per side. During last few minutes of cooking, baste each burger with 1 tablespoon of the hoisin sauce.
- 4To assemble, place 1 tablespoon Sriracha Lime Mayo on each bottom and top bun. Place chicken on bun bottoms and top each with 1/3 cup Rainbow Sesame Slaw. Serve with any remaining slaw and mayo on the side. Garnish with scallions. Enjoy!
- 5Makes 6 servings.
- 6Sriracha Lime Mayo:.
- 7In small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, zest and juice of lime and Sriracha chile sauce. Set aside.
- 8Rainbow Sesame Slaw:
- 9In medium size bowl, mix together bell peppers, julienned snow peas, julienned jicama, rice wine vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, Sriracha chile sauce, sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Chicken Burgers With Rainbow Sesame Slaw-Contest Winner!
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 708.2
- Calories from Fat 382
- Total Fat 42.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 168.6 mg
- Sodium 1460.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 33.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar