Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Blue Corn and Chocolate.
Make and share this Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup (Egg Drop) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 green onions, finely minced (white parts only, but chop tops and reserve for garnish if desired)
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a saucepan, saute the onions and ginger in peanut oil until aromatic (a few minutes).
- Add corn, stock, wine, soy sauce and pepper; simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Mix in chicken and sesame oil, and bring just to a simmer.
- Pour the egg slowly into the pan in a thin stream, stirring lightly with a fork to form strands.
- Garnish with onion tops and serve hot.
This is very close to the recipe my ex-husband (who is native Taiwanese) and I used to make a lot. We included a clove of minced garlic in the vegetable saute and would occasionally add diced firm tofu in place of the chicken. It makes a VERY yummy soup. Thanks for posting!
Really quick to put together and delicious! The only change I made just to suit what I had on hand was to use sherry instead of rice wine.
I liked this a great deal. Used almost a cup of canned white meat chicken which was kindof shredded, and I felt it fit nicely in the soup. (Plus it was easy!) I skipped the sesame oil and used egg whites only. I added some baby corn that I chopped up as well, and added more broth and spices (also added garlic) to compensate for the extra chicken and veggies. Sweetened it up with a bit of sugar substitute as well.