Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From BBC Good Food. Quick and simple, low in fat too!
Make and share this Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 420 g can creamed corn (14 3/4 oz)
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 4.92 ml Chinese five spice powder
- 1-2 chili, chopped (optional)
- 14.79 ml cornstarch, mixed with
- 14.79 ml cold water, to make a slurry
- 3 spring onions, chopped (scallion)
- 100 g cooked chicken, chopped (4 oz, leftover or from a roast etc)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- sesame oil
- Place the canned corn, 500ml (slightly more than 2 cups) of water and the crumbled chicken stock cube in a large pan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle in the five-spice powder and chillies; mix everything together with wooden spoon/spatula, then bring to boil.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture, continue stirring until soup thickens.
- Add chopped scallions (reserving a few TB) and chicken, continue to cook for several minutes.
- Turn down the heat to a gentle simmer, slowly drizzle in the beaten egg, stirring the soup continuously.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls, top with remaining chopped scallions and drizzle with a little sesame oil; serve immediately.
What a lovely soup - thanks will be making again very soon!
This tasted wonderful. I made a half batch of this for lunch with my husband and he said it was yummy too. I subsituted the canned creamed corn with defrosted frozen and slightly pureed corn, and used some crushed dried chili for the chili. I also used a little extra chicken and spring onions. Will be making this again - whenever we next have some leftover chicken around!