Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Please resist any temptation to add more ingredients. This is a dish in which the whole is vastly greater than the sum of the parts.
- Pour boiling water over chicken and in cavity.
- Place chicken, breast side up in a large Chinese clay pot or Dutch oven.
- Add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook slowly for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the cabbage in half vertically. Cut each half into 3 pieces.
- Remove chicken, add cabbage, and return chicken to the pot, breast side down. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Move chicken and cabbage to a platter.
- Add salt and wine to the broth.
- When cool enough to handle, pick meat from the carcass and add to the broth, discarding skin and bones. Add reserved cabbage, reheat, and serve.