1/1 Photo of Chinese Beef and Asparagus With Black Bean Sauce
The second of my three favorite Chinese recipes, adapted from The Frugal Gourmet. Since I don't like CRISP asparagus that tastes like grass to me, I make below the suggestion that you steam the asparagus briefly. I serve this over rice but it'd be good over noodles too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs asparagus
- 1 lb flank steak, sliced thinly across the grain
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry or 3 tablespoons chinese rice wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1Prepare the asparagus by washing, breaking the stem at the "natural" break point and slice diagonally into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces.
- 2(OPTIONAL: Steam the asparagus pieces for 3-4 minutes.) Put aside.
- 3Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl (soy sauce, ginger, sherry and cornstarch) then add the sliced meat. Mix well and let sit for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally if you wish.
- 4Head a wok or large frying pan, add the oil. When it is is just beginning to smoke, add the meat, laying each piece on one side in the pan, Do not turn but cook over high heat for a moment, until the one side begins to brown. Toss-stir the meat for a moment and remove from the pan, allowing the oil to drain back into the pan. You may want to do this in two batches to keep the meat sizzling.
- 5Heat the pan to hot again and add the garlic. Stir-fry for a minute then add the rinsed, chopped black beans and stirfry another bit. Add the asparagus, toss with the vegetables then add the other T of soy sauce and the pinches of sugar and salt. Stirfy until the asparagus is done to your liking (probably about 5 minutes if you didn't steam it first; less if you did).
- 6Add the meat and its drippings and the chicken broth. Stir to make a sauce, then serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Beef and Asparagus With Black Bean Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.2
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 929.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 30.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fermented black beans