Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from Australian chef Neil Perry. I haven't tried this yet but it looked really good. Enjoy
- Clean squid by gently pulling head and tentacles away from the body.
- Pull out the clear backbone (quill) from inside the body and discard entrails.
- Cut tentacles from the head just below the eyes; discard head.
- Remove side wings and fine membrance from body.
- Rinse body, tentacles and wings thoroughly and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Cut squid down the centre so that it will open flat out, and slice body and wings into 5mm (1/4in) wide strips.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, chilli powder and salt.
- Add squid, including tentacles, and toss to coat, shaking off any excess flour.
- Heat oil in a hot wok until the surface seems to shimmer slightly.
- Add half the squid and deep-fry for about 1 minute, or until just tender and beginning to colour.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on kitchen paper.
- Repeat process with remaining squid.
- Add chillies to the same hot oil and fry for about 30 seconds, or until they are a deep bright-red colour; remove with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- Arrange squid on a platter and garnish with fried chillies, spring onions and coriander.
- Serve immediately, with lemon halves.