This recipe is from Australian chef Neil Perry. I haven't tried this yet but it looked really good. Enjoy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Clean squid by gently pulling head and tentacles away from the body.
- 2Pull out the clear backbone (quill) from inside the body and discard entrails.
- 3Cut tentacles from the head just below the eyes; discard head.
- 4Remove side wings and fine membrance from body.
- 5Rinse body, tentacles and wings thoroughly and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- 6Cut squid down the centre so that it will open flat out, and slice body and wings into 5mm (1/4in) wide strips.
- 7In a large bowl, combine flour, chilli powder and salt.
- 8Add squid, including tentacles, and toss to coat, shaking off any excess flour.
- 9Heat oil in a hot wok until the surface seems to shimmer slightly.
- 10Add half the squid and deep-fry for about 1 minute, or until just tender and beginning to colour.
- 11Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on kitchen paper.
- 12Repeat process with remaining squid.
- 13Add chillies to the same hot oil and fry for about 30 seconds, or until they are a deep bright-red colour; remove with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- 14Arrange squid on a platter and garnish with fried chillies, spring onions and coriander.
- 15Serve immediately, with lemon halves.
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilli-Salt Squid
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.7
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 349.5 mg
- Sodium 1833.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 25.8 g