1/1 Photo of Chilli Orange Duck
A twist to the usual orange duck or mandarin duck. Aromatic, crisp skinned duck in a sticky, sweet and spicy citrus sauce that glows on the plate. From Simple Food by Jill Dupleix
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 oranges
- 100 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 small red chilies, finely sliced
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (or any vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons red wine or 2 tablespoons port wine
- 4 duck breasts, around 200 g each
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 spring onions, trimmed
- 1Scrub the oranges well, cut the rind from 2 oranges, using a sharp knife, and trim off most of the pith.
- 2Cut the rind into short, thin strips.
- 3Squeeze the juice from the oranges, you need 250ml.
- 4Combine the orange rind and juice, sugar, ginger, chilli, star anise, cinnamon sticks, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, vinegar and red wine in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring.
- 5Boil for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly syrupy.
- 6Prick the duck skin well, and heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- 7Add the duck breasts and sear, skin side down for 8 minutes or till brown.
- 8Then turn and cook for another 8 minutes.
- 9Remove the duck and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- 10Cut the spring onions into finger lengths, then into strips.
- 11Slice the duck thickly, arrange on warmed plates and scatter with spring onion shreds.
- 12Spoon the sauce over the top.
- 13Serve with rice or noodles.
Browse Our Top Oranges Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilli Orange Duck
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 671.3
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 326.6 mg
- Sodium 577.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 32.7 g
- Protein 60.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet chili sauce
rice wine vinegar