Cooks in Asia serve hot pots communally, setting a big pot of bubbling broth on the table alongside a platter of raw ingredients (like vegetables and thinly sliced chicken) for dipping. It’s a fun way for guests to feel like they have a hand in making their own meal. In his version, Ethan Stowell gives each person at the table an individual bowl of sliced mushrooms, tofu and scallions, then adds piping hot chicken broth loaded with chunks of tender cooked chicken. Serve with a light-bodied, unoaked Chardonay: 2006 Ruffino Libaio . Appeared in October 2008 edition of F&W Magazine. From 10 Entertaining Essentials: Satisfying Family-Style Dishes, Pairing of the Day
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, stems removed and reserved caps thinly sliced
- 2 inches piece gingerroot, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- kosher salt
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 14 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on diagonal (both white & green parts)
- sesame oil, for drizzling
- teriyaki sauce (optional) or sesame dipping sauce, for dipping (optional)
- 1In a large soup pot, bring the stock, mushroom stems, ginger and garlic to a simmer.
- 2Cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- 3Strain the stock into a large bowl and return it to the pot.
- 4Season the broth with salt & crushed red pepper flakes (if using)
- 5Bring the broth to a boil; add the chicken.
- 6Cook until the chicken is white throughout, about 4 minutes.
- 7Divide the mushroom caps, tofu and scallions among eight soup bowls and serve, passing the broth and sesame oil at the table.
- 8Optional: Serve with a Teriyaki Dipping Sauce or Sesame Sauce for dipping.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Hot Pot With Mushrooms and Tofu
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.1
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 42.9 mg
- Sodium 163.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: