This dish balances salty, sweet, tangy and spicy ingredients. It is truly wonderful! :) Recipe is from Barbara Lauterbach, Cooking Light Magazine, April 2009 edition. She suggests that it be served alongside a quick rice pilaf. Cook a 10 oz package frozen white rice (such as Birds Eye SteamFresh) according to package directions. We had rice already made since there is white rice always around!! Combine cooked rice, 2 Tablespoons drained chopped water chestnuts, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt (or perhaps one of Mrs Dash's 13 choices) and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkling of chopped green onions. Make sure you have it all chopped and ready so that cooking it will be a breeze. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 3/4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar or 3/4 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco) or 1/2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups julienne-cut red bell peppers (about 1 large)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (if you have it, use bottled minced garlic, watch it, if you used the garlic chile paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1Combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and dry sherry, rice vinegar, the sugar or Splenda, & 1/2 tablespoon garlic & red chile paste (or less if you choose) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 2Combine remaining 2 3/4 teaspoons cornstarch, remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and chicken in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.
- 3Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Add cashews to pan; cook 3 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring frequently.
- 5Remove from pan.
- 6Add oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 7Remove chicken from pan; place in a bowl.
- 8Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9Add garlic and ginger; cook 30 seconds.
- 10Add chicken and cornstarch mixture to pan; cook 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thick.
- 11Sprinkle with cashews and green onions.
- 12QUICK RICE PILAF:.
- 13Cook 1 (10-ounce) package frozen white rice (such as Birds Eye SteamFresh) according to package directions. Combine cooked rice, 2 tablespoons drained chopped water chestnuts, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper & a sprinkling of chopped green onions!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Cashews and Red Pepper Stir-Fry
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.2
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 394.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 30.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar