1/2 Photos of Char Siew Puffs (Char Siew Sow) - Dim Sum
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I have not tried this recipe yet, but hopefully will make this soon as I love Char Siew Sow! Recipe found on internet - Jo's Bakery. Prep time includes 30mins chilling time for the dough. NOTE - this recipe is not really authentic as the fat used in traditional Chinese pastry is usually lard instead of butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 30 ml water (approx 2 TB)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil (etc.)
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 85 g barbecued pork, diced (char siew , 3 oz)
- 90 g all-purpose flour (approx 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 25 g icing sugar (approx 3 tablespoon)
- 45 g butter, cubed (approx 3 tablespoon)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1Prepare Filling: Combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, sugar and water and stir until sugar is dissolved; stir in cornstarch.
- 2Heat oil in a pan, once hot, fry shallot till fragrant.
- 3Slowly pour in the sauce mixture and cook until sauce thickens.
- 4Add diced char siew to the sauce, stir to coat well.
- 5Prepare dough: Sift all-purpose flour, baking powder, custard powder and icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- 6Rub in the butter until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- 7Stir egg into the flour mixture to make a pliable dough.
- 8Wrap dough in a large plastic bag (approx 20x30cm or 8x12inch) and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 9Remove dough from fridge and roll it out (in the bag) to obtain a 8 x 12" rectangle.
- 10Cut the edges of the plastic bag and take the dough out; divide it equally into 12 portions (use a pizza roller/dough scraper for easier cutting).
- 11Put some filling on each dough portion, fold it so that filling is enclosed; seal edges by crimping with a fork.
- 12Brush the pastries with egg wash (lightly beat egg, water and salt together).
- 13Bake in a preheated oven at 180-190°C or 350-375°F for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- 14Serve while they are still hot or warm.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Char Siew Puffs (Char Siew Sow) - Dim Sum
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.7
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 49.0 mg
- Sodium 148.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: