Prep1 hr 30 mins
I have not tried this recipe yet, but hopefully will make this soon as I love Char Siew Sow! Recipe found on internet - Jo's Bakery. Prep time includes 30mins chilling time for the dough. NOTE - this recipe is not really authentic as the fat used in traditional Chinese pastry is usually lard instead of butter.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 30 ml water (approx 2 TB)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil (etc.)
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 85 g barbecued pork, diced (char siew , 3 oz)
- 90 g all-purpose flour (approx 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 25 g icing sugar (approx 3 tablespoon)
- 45 g butter, cubed (approx 3 tablespoon)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 pinch salt
- Prepare Filling: Combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, sugar and water and stir until sugar is dissolved; stir in cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a pan, once hot, fry shallot till fragrant.
- Slowly pour in the sauce mixture and cook until sauce thickens.
- Add diced char siew to the sauce, stir to coat well.
- Prepare dough: Sift all-purpose flour, baking powder, custard powder and icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir egg into the flour mixture to make a pliable dough.
- Wrap dough in a large plastic bag (approx 20x30cm or 8x12inch) and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll it out (in the bag) to obtain a 8 x 12" rectangle.
- Cut the edges of the plastic bag and take the dough out; divide it equally into 12 portions (use a pizza roller/dough scraper for easier cutting).
- Put some filling on each dough portion, fold it so that filling is enclosed; seal edges by crimping with a fork.
- Brush the pastries with egg wash (lightly beat egg, water and salt together).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180-190°C or 350-375°F for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve while they are still hot or warm.
I was kind of disappointed with this recipe. The pastry crust wasn't as tasty as I'd hoped.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.It was good.
I used this recipe just for the filling to put inside the Dim Sum Buns Bergy Dim Sum #6 Steamed sweet Bean Buns. This filling was awesome. Thank you.