1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
echo echo's Note:
Adapted from an old Craig Claiborne recipe I like very much. Cooking time is very approximate and may go longer than stated (the original recipe indicated only about 1 hour but I have not found it to be done in that time when using the size of duck indicated). Preparation time does not include letting duck dry overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut off duck's wing tips and 2nd joints.
- 2Combine bean sauce through anise and rub the inside of the duck with the mixture.
- 3Sew the neck and tail openings securely.
- 4Bring 6 cups water to a boil.
- 5Place duck on a rack in your sink and pour 3 cups boiling water over the breast; turn over and pour on the rest of the boiling water so that all parts of the duck have been exposed to boiling water.
- 6Pat the duck dry.
- 7Combine vinegar and honey with 1 cup water; heat, stirring to blend smoothly; brush duck all over with the mixture.
- 8Slip a loop of string around the duck's neck and hang in a dry place overnight.
- 9Pre-heat oven to 450°F.
- 10Put the duck back-side-down on a rack in a roasting pan and roast at 450°F 6-10 minutes until golden brown.
- 11Turn with a towel (NOT a fork).
- 12Roast 8-10 minutes longer, making sure the duck does not burn.
- 13Reduce heat to 350°F and turn the duck onto its back once more, tent with foil and roast 20 minutes.
- 14Reduce heat to 300°F; roast 10 minutes.
- 15Reduce heat to 250°F; roast until tender (if used, a meat thermometer stuck in thickest part of thigh should register almost 180°F).
- 16Now increase heat to 450°F, remove foil and roast 10 minutes.
- 17Remove from oven and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Whole Duck Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cantonese Roast Duck
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1606.4
- Calories from Fat 1339
- Total Fat 148.8 g
- Saturated Fat 50.0 g
- Cholesterol 287.5 mg
- Sodium 407.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 43.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: