Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Made this for my freezer meal group this month and it turned out yummy! Adapted/combined several other recipes to come up with this. Stir fry everything in sesame oil or peanut oil for more flavor, then sprinkle with sesame seeds or peanuts at the very end. Very adaptable recipe - enjoy!
- 1 lb boneless round steak or 1 lb stewing beef, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 lb frozen broccoli florets (or frozen cut broccoli, the florets just look nicer)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (I prefer lite, less salty)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (whatever you have or prefer) or 1 tablespoon sesame (whatever you have or prefer) or 1 tablespoon peanut oil (whatever you have or prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrots (optional) or 1⁄2 cup sliced sweet red peppers (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional) or 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional) or 1⁄4 cup peanuts (optional)
- In a bowl, combine garlic powder, ground ginger, & onion powder.
- Add beef and toss. Put into quart sized freezer bag.
- Put frozen broccoli into separate freezer bag.
- In a quart sized freezer bag combine soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, cornstarch & water until smooth.
- (I made 22 recipes of this for my exchange, so I put 1 Tbsp of cornstarch in each bag, and lined them up on my counter. Then I mixed all the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Then I poured a bit more than 3/4 cup of the mixture into each bag and that came out about right).
- Seal bags tightly, lay flat on cookie sheets, and freeze everything.
- To cook from frozen:.
- Defrost everything overnight in the fridge. Half hour before cooking, take everything out of the fridge so it can completely defrost.
- In a large skillet or wok, over medium-high heat, stir-fry beef in your choice of oil until beef reaches desired doneness.
- At the same time, warm up your broccoli a bit under some hot running water in a collander so that it doesn't cool down your stir fry when you add it to the pan.
- Add the broccoli and stir-fry another 2-4 minutes until broccoli reaches desired doneness.
- At this point you can add either or both of the optional veggies for flavor & color and the red pepper if you like it a little spicy.
- Next, add the contents of the sauce bag to the pan.
- Cook and stir for about 2 more minutes, until sauce thickens sufficiently.
- Sprinkle the whole thing with sesame seeds or peanuts if desired.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Good recipe. Next time I will double the sauce. I did add the red pepper flakes.