Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from The Great Wings Book by Hugh Carpenter & Teri Sandison. Taken from the blog at Serious Eats.
- 24 chicken wings
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄2 cup dark soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Trim off the wing tips. Cut each wing in two through the joint.
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients except wings. Bring to a boil. Add wings and reduce to a low simmer. Cover tightly and simmer until wings are very tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Chicken can be refrigerated, in the sauce, up to 24 hours at this point.).
- To serve, bring temperature up to medium and boil until sauce is thick and syrupy and wings are well-coated with glaze.