A couple of weeks ago I went to a market and saw some dumplings in one of the stalls. I wanted to buy some but they were so expensive, so I decided I'd just make them myself. The preparation - filling and shaping the dumplings - does take time, but I think it is worth the result.
- 200 g ground pork
- 100 g shrimp, finely chopped or ground using food processor
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 30 -40 wonton wrappers
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste (for the stock)
- 1 dash mushroom soy sauce (optional, but remember that the stock will look a bit brown)
- iceberg lettuce (optional) or broccoli (optional) or cauliflower (optional) or carrot, chopped (optional)
- Mix all ingredients except wonton wrappers and stock.
- Place a teaspoon of meat mixture in the center of wrappers.
- Enclose the filling - you can shape the wontons into any shape you want. Don't forget to wet the edges of wrappers to ensure the filling is sealed well.
- Boil the chicken stock over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Carefully put dumplings into stock and cook, covered, until dumplings float in the surface. Don't crowd the dumplings - you may need to repeat this step for 2-3 times.
- Add the vegetables along with the last batch of dumplings, if using.
- Add salt, pepper, or soy sauce to taste.
These dumplings are really good. The only change was that I used cooked shrimp and more than required as I needed to use them up. I mixed everything in my food processor so it was easy to make. For the broth I added the soy sauce and broccoli, carrots, green onion, mushrooms snow peas, and cilantro. For personal preference, I also added in a little soy sauce and some chicken soup base. Thanks for the recipe.
Delicious and so flavorful! Although they are time consuming to make, it was well worth it. Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Orphanage Fall 09.