Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
After an emergency involving an out of date sauce & relatives coming round for dinner, I spent the next few minutes investigating the contents of my mum's cupboards & then every chinese cookbook we had to find a sauce that I could make in a couple of minutes. In the end, I found that the following ingredients were common to most recipes. If I hadn't been feeding my dad as well, I would have added something from the following - garlic, ginger, spring onion or chili pepper. As it was, I added the sugar instead to richen the sauce. I used the medium-dry sherry that my mum "cooks" with - although the recommended alternative for rice wine appears to be dry sherry.
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons stock or 4 teaspoons water (I used the meat juices that came out when I fried the meat before adding the sauce)
- Mix cornflour and water together to form a smooth paste.
- Add everything else to the paste and mix well- it will take a little while for the sugar to dissolve.
- Add to meat and/or veg after stir-frying& heat until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately with rice or noodles.
I didn't have any rice wine or sherry, or dark brown sugar, so I just used soy sauce, cornstarch, and some water, and added several cloves of garlic, powdered ginger and some red pepper flakes, and it came out great. Thanks!
I really didn't have the amount of ingredients to do other Stir Fry sauces, so when I found this one I added a couple of drops of sesame oil and a clove of minced garlic. I did use water instead of stock but found that this was very tasty. Thanks for a posting this recipe.
I can't believe I forgot to review this! I made this with chicken stock for a chicken based stir fry, and it was delicous! A basic, simple sauce that I have actually used a few times already....big stir fry people here! Thanks for a great stand by that I wll be making again!