Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is posted for a request, but it's a recipe i've made often. The glaze really makes the finished dish. Prep time doesn't include marinating and resting the meat. This is good served hot or cold, and leftovers are great in sandwiches.
- 1 kg pork fillet
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 3 slice ginger, 6 mm thick
- 4.92 ml sugar
- good pinch pepper
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- 14.79 ml black bean sauce
- 14.79 ml hoisin sauce
- 14.79 ml shaohsing wine or 14.79 ml dry sherry
- 14.79 ml light soy sauce
- 1.23 ml five-spice powder
- 0.25 ml of chinese red food coloring (I leave this out or use a teaspoon of ordinary food colouring)
- 9.85 ml dark soy sauce
- 14.79 ml oil
- 14.79 ml golden syrup
- 4.92 ml light soy sauce
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a dish, add the pork and marinate for at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Heat the oven to 180c.
- Place the pork on a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Place a pan with 6mm of water on the bottom rack in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- For the glaze, heat oil in saucepan over moderate heat, stir in golden syrup and soy sauce.
- Spoon over meat just before serving.
- Slice on the diagonal to serve.
I've had a craving for Chinese food but with SARS being such a problem in Ontario I just don't dare go to a Chinese restaurant. So we did the next best thing - cooked our own!! I used tenderloin & next time I will probably brush the marinade on the pork as I found the flavour a little overpowering. Thanx Jan!
This recipe was deeevine - will definitely make it again. Of course, I had to subsitute - no bourbon so used sherry, no lemon so used a couple of mandarins. I also feel the colouring is unnessary so omitted that. Still, it was delicious and the sauce, poured over afterwards, was sooo good with the rice :)
Used this with a couple of huge shoulder chops, didnt do the glaze, but loved the taste of the pork! Used this as comfort food, nice and tasty, even with a cold! thanks Jan for another good one!