Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is posted by request, and comes from the Aus Women's Weekly Chinese Cooking Class Cookbook. It's a simple recipe I make quite often. Prep time doesn't include marinating time.
- Combine soy sauce, red wine, honey, sugar, food colouring, crushed garlic and halved shallot in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top, add pork, marinate one hour or cover and refrigerate overnight for best results, turning occasionally.
- Drain pork fillets from marinade, reserve marinade.
- Put pork on wire rack over baking dish.
- Bake in a moderate oven 30 minutes, turning frequently with tongs and basting frequently with marinade.
- Remove from oven, put on board and allow to cool.
- Cut pork into diagonal slices to serve.
You only need to smell this marinade to know you are about to experience something special! I followed the easy directions, adding all the ingredients in a Ziplock bag (except the red food coloring, there were only a few drops left in the bottle) and marinated the pork for 3 hours. I baked the pork as directed. The result - superb flavor and fork tender! My 5 star rating = excellant!
Awesome! I used a 1.5-lb. boneless pork loin roast -- not those little skinny things, but the real deal (I buy the huge monsters and cut them into reasonably sized roasts). I used this marinade, leaving it in the fridge for nearly two days, and it was awesome! As Lavender Lynn said, this is exactly like the BBQ pork served at a lot of Chinese restaurants. Next time, though, I think I'll use a low-sodium soy sauce. I'm not sure if it was the regular soy sauce or the extended marinating time I used, but it came out just a bit too salty for my family's taste. Thanks much for this delicious recipe!
This was abso fabso, used pork fillets and cooked in an Aga for 30 mins. hand 2 fillets, kept one for next day for lunch etc. All I can say is family loved it and thought I had been to a really good takeaway wow!!!. One point having a bit of water in bottom of pan below the grid ensured that the pork was moist and tender